Sunday, April 10, 2011

Book Fever and Time Travel

I got into one of my book fevers today. I just had to have a book on Leonardo DaVinci. in my defense I am preparing a class on him and his inventions. So I went through my frenzy of checking on my local library's website and then on Amazon. I added 6 books on my Amazon wish list and printed off a list of about 15 books from the library. This is for work and I'm not buying them so it's aaaaallll good.

I just finished my first unread book on my list of 210 Unread Books. It's called The Time Travelers by Linda Buckley Archer and is the first book of The Gideon Trilogy.

It's about two English children who, by a freak encounter with an anti-gravity machine, end up transported to 1763. They meet a thief-turned gentleman, Gideon Seymour, who is hiding from the Tar Man who does whatever he can to bring him back to his former boss. The Tar Man steals the anti-gravity machine and the children team up with Gideon to get it back.

Linda's writing style is real and heavy and tangible. I wrote in my last post that she weaves a story like a chef mixes ingredients. You smell 18th century London, you hear the rustling of people as they walk down the cobbled roads, and you feel the jarring of the carriage as you race to win back the machine.

Youth sci-fi and fantasy is my all time favorite genre. And The Time Travelers deserves it's place among The Mysterious Benedict Society, Artemis Fowl and A Wrinkle in Time.

And now to my favorite part... what book shall I read next?

No comments:

Post a Comment