Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Not At All Like Harry Potter

I finished cataloging all my books yesterday. The total is 390.

Of the 210 unread books I currently have there are 8 books I'm currently reading. Yes, that's 8 books at once. And about 13 books I've started but then for one reason or another put down and forgot about.

I used Book Crawler to catalog my books on my iPad. It's a great tool for keeping track of the books you own, have read and want. I've also assigned tags to each of my books based on different criteria like "made into movie" and "should read again" and "signed copy".

As I cataloged my books I slowly began to understand the enormity of the task before me. I have to read 210 books before I can buy another one. Some women have shoes or purses; I have books. I don't know if I can do this. I've never tried to seriously do anything like this before.

But deep down I know it will be good for me. I have collected so much knowledge in these unread books but I never actually ingested it all. They just sit on my lovingly, handmade bookshelves waiting to share their secrets.

One of the books I'm currently reading is called The Time Travelers by Linda Buckley Archer. On the front it says, "For children who like Harry Potter." It's praise for the book but it just annoys me. This book is nothing like the Harry Potter books. The writing style is different, the plot is different and the characters do not resemble Harry, Hermoine or Ron in the least bit.

The Time Travelers is an extremely entertaining book about two modern teenagers who, after chasing a dog around an English laboratory end up back in 1763. See, nothing like Harry Potter.

I do really and highly recommend this book. The writing style is natural, flowing and wholesome. And the author brings up topics that are slightly more mature than the average reader of a book like this but that only makes it even more enjoyable for an adult reader. This book was also made for the big screen. Archer describes a scene like a chef; you can feel it, smell it, taste it and sometimes you choke on the humor and humanity that jumps out from every page.

I'm not finished yet but I am excited to have The Time Travelers be the first book I check off my 210 Unread Books list.

No comments:

Post a Comment